Wednesday, October 15, 2014

30 Days of Nightmares #15: ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE (2013)


The Story: Maddy sets out to ruin senior year for her high school's elite, but her machinations lead to the deaths of the entire cheerleading squad, including herself.  Luckily, Maddy's ex-girlfriend is into black magic.  She brings them back for some cold-blooded revenge.

Expectations: Even horror fans need a little levity every now and then, and I had high hopes for a horror-comedy from the mind of writer/director Lucky McKee (MAY, THE WOMAN).  As it turns out, I unknowingly broke my "no remakes" rule for the second time this year by watching this... Apparently it's the second time McKee has told this story.  I guess nobody saw the direct-to-video 2001 version?

Reaction: The title suggests an undead mash-up of BRING IT ON and THE CRAFT.  I don't know why I thought that sounded like a good idea.  The film has a few moments of genuine anarchic spirit, but mostly it reminded me of better attempts at radical "feminist" horror, like GINGER SNAPS(2000) and JENNIFER'S BODY (2009).  Unfortunately, ALL CHEERLEADERS DIE seems more dated than those films.  Its campy take on the supernatural belongs to the era of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER TV series (1997)... but this film doesn't have the wit or the pathos of BUFFY.  Some viewers will undoubtedly appreciate it for what it is: a silly b-movie with lots of curves.  But even they will be left cold by the throwaway ending.  Bummer.    

Most Nightmare-Worthy Moment: Beats me.

No comments:

Post a Comment