Sunday, October 05, 2014

30 Days of Nightmares #5: RESOLUTION (2012)

 
The Story: Michael takes his crackhead friend Chris hostage at a remote cabin, in an effort to ween him off of drugs.  Weird shit happens.

Expectations: Based on the synopsis, I was expecting a harrowing and bloody movie about two friends who turn against each other.  What I got was... different.

Reaction: I'm not sure how to write about this film without giving away the twists and turns, and I don't want to ruin it for anyone, so I'm going to keep this vague. The film is alternately funny, poignant, and dread-filled because the two main actors (who are, incidentally, also the co-filmmakers) are thoroughly compelling.  Imagine John Stockwell and Charlie from IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA as childhood chums who get tricked into unknowingly starring in THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT.  Nevermind, that sounds ridiculous... and while this film is sometimes ridiculous, it also works as serious a horror movie.  I have no doubt that some viewers who go in expecting a more traditional horror film will come out going "WTF?"  But for me, this viewing experience was comparable to the first time I saw David Lynch's LOST HIGHWAY...  It took me on a strange and unpredictable journey, and left me feeling exhilarated.  

Most Nightmare-Worthy Moment: This is one of those movies that effectively conjures an atmosphere of total dread.  Particularly in the last half hour, I was constantly wondering "What's going to happen?" and "What's out there?"  I was a bit disappointed by the ending... but I think that was inevitable.  Answers don't give you nightmares.  Possibilities do.

No comments:

Post a Comment